Friday, February 7, 2014

2014 Festival Wishlist

It is a bit hard to believe that in just a few short weeks festival season will be upon us. If you are in NYC you are probably also enduring the cold temperatures and maybe you have been living in your "snow uniform" as well (this is what I have grown to call my weird outfit I put on every time the temperature dips below 30 degrees - please tell me I am not the only one wearing a pair of leggings underneath my jeans?). This less than wonderful weather makes the outdoors quite unappealing and the thought of hopping up and down while listening to a band play outside :shudder: is a turn off mine right now.  However, I know that once the mercury starts rising and the sun starts shining again all I will want to do is be in the outdoors.

Growing up my friends and I would go to concerts every week - it didn't matter how big or small the venue was or how popular or emerging the musicians were - if there was music we were there. So without further ado here is my 2014 Festival Wishlist:

SXSW Eco Light Garden at SXSW 2013/Photo by Aaron Rogosin, from SXSW website
If my mind had taste buds they would be watering while I read the upcoming schedule of events for South by Southwest. Besides the conferences, the panels, the expos, and (of course) the live performances, there will also be some interactive art installations that should not be missed. 

Where?: Austin, Texas 
When?: March 7-16
Who?: See the full schedule of events here 

Lineup of Coachella 

2. Coachella 

Ohmygosh, I can picture it like was just yesterday. I was casually surfing the inter-web when I came across a picture of model Alessandra Ambrosio at the 2011 Coachella Festival in Indio, California. Her outfit - all boho fringe and wonderfulness, is still engrained in my mind (so happy that I can remember an outfit from 3+ years ago but still  can't get my Social Security ID# straight half the time). Coachella, which is the annual two-weekend/3 day music festival that takes place in Indio's Inland Empire Valley, looks to be even more awesome this year (the lineup looks like it was extracted from a very random, but very wonderful, musical dream). If you were lucky enough to get tickets this year, in addition to the music you should also expect some campground yoga and a bunch of different meal options  (gluten-free, paleo, kosher, etc.)  

When?: April 11-13 & April 20-21
Where?: Indio, California
Who?: OutKast, Ellie Goulding, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, the 1975, HAIM + more

Sasquatch! Pond by Tom Lamb/Photo: Sasquatch! 

3. Sasquatch!

If you first think of Big Foot when hearing the word "sasquatch" don't worry, you are not the only one (guilty!). Even though the thought of actually seeing Big Foot is somewhat exciting (slightly terrifying) I am sad to say there will be no (to my knowledge) Big Foot at this festival. Sasquatch is also the name of a festival that takes place twice a year (twice the opportunity to go) during Memorial Day and Fourth of July weekends that was founded in 2002 by concert promoter Adam Zacks (there is your music festival trivia of the day). 

When?: Memorial Day weekend (May 23-25) & Fourth of July weekend (July 4-6) 
Where?: The Gorge Amphitheater, Quincy, Washington 
Who?: May weekend - OutKast, M.I.A., Die Antwood, Tyler the Creator, First Aid Kit, City and Colour, Ryan Hemsworth + more, July weekend - Soundgarden (my mom is cheering somewhere right now), Frank Ocean, Neutral Milk Hotel, Tegan & Sara, Of Montreal, Action Bronson + more


Now the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word "Bonnaroo" is when I was 17 and had the chance to go to Bonnaroo last minute but decided not to (regret, regret I tell you!) The second thing that comes to mind when I hear the word "Bonnaroo" is the spacious 700-acre Great Stage Park farm in Manchester, Tennessee where it takes place. I've obviously never been to this farm but I am picturing it to be some Woodstock-reincarnated, green paradise :fade into dream sequence:… 

When?: June 12-15
Where?: Manchester, Tennessee
Who?: TBA February 19

Photo/ Governors Ball website
I have been to Governors Island but I cannot remember when or why. Oh! It was for the Polo Classic a few years back. My friend (Terence) and I all fresh faced and out of high school thought it would be a good idea to get dressed in our Sunday best and brave the waters of the East River (dramatizing right now) - and it was! Which makes me super excited that Governors Ball also takes place on, you guessed it, Governors Island! This will be Governors Ball's third year. 

When?: June 6-8
Where?: Governors Island, NYC 
Who?: OutKast (this feels like dejavu), Jack White, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Empire of the Sun, Bastille, Jenny Lewis + more

Photo/ Firefly Music Festival website
Firefly is a festival that was created just a couple of years ago and, much like Bonnaroo, provides a great combination of camping and live music. Besides the musical acts, in the past Firefly offered guests additional daily activities - including an arcade tent, a Toms Shoes design tent and the Hammock Hangout (self-explanatory). In 2012 they even offered hot air balloon rides over festival grounds (imagining myself as Dorothy right now). 

When?: June 19-22
Where?: Dover, Delaware
Who?: Foo Fighters, OutKast, Jack Johnson, Weezer, the Lumineers, Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons, Third Eye Blind, Ziggy Marley, A-Trak, Band of Horses, Childish Gambino + more

No comments:

Post a Comment